Who else could be the subject of a Halloween day Women We Love (wrapping up our month long salute to the "scream queens of the silver screen") then the one, the only Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, nee Cassandra Peterson:
- Why we love her: For deftly mixing the saucy sexuality of Mae West with the gothic sensuality of Vampira to create an iconic character who made B movies sexy. Also: for better or worse, inspired perennial Halloween costumes for drag queens everywhere.
- Choice role: The sassy siren of celluloid screams, the "hostess with the mostess" of the long-running syndicated program Elvira's Movie Macabre and her own, self-titled feature film.
- What else has she done: Her film debut was in Fellini's Roma. Played the "biker mama" in Pee-Wee's Big Adventure.
- First big break: Right after high school, at age 17, went to Las Vegas and became the youngest showgirl in Sin City history. Elvis Presley saw her and encouraged her to become a singer (they briefly dated as well).
- Bet you didn't know: The original idea for the Elvira character was patterned after Sharon Tate's role in The Fearless Vampire Killers.
- Side job: Has made millions over the years licensing her unique likeness to everything from Elvira wigs to arcade games to her own line of DVDs.
- No kidding: Has always been a fan of Ann-Margret.
- Can we quote you on that: "I'm glad to see you're back. You're glad to see my front."
- You go girl: Is a big supporter of gay rights and animal rights.
- What is she up to now: Will pick her perky protégé on tonight's finale of Fox Reality's The Search for the Next Elvira. And, as you can see from this promo clip for that show, she looks as frightfully fabulous as ever. You think she sold her soul to the devil for some eternal youth?
Links via Imdb.com, FoxReality.com and YouTube.com.