- That (at least in the 90's) Jane Austen was hot.
- That Ang Lee, the Taiwanese director then best known for the Oscar nominated foreign language films The Wedding Banquet and Eat Drink Man Woman, could direct anything -- even a British period romantic drama.
- That Emma Thompson, who wrote the Academy Award-winning screenplay, could do anything.
- That Kate Winslet, fulfilling the promise seen the previous year in Heavenly Creatures, would be a star (Mira who?).
- That the Academy knows nothing: despite seven nominations (including Best Picture), the director branch snubbed Lee. No matter, he would go on to win the award for some other movie.
- And finally (and this is still true today): that hunky Greg Wise needs to be in more movies.
Saturday, February 2, 2008
31 Days of Oscar: Sense and Sensibility
Sense and Sensibility proved six things upon its release in 1995: