Object of our affection: Bette Midler, actress/singer.
- The Divine Miss M has been a woman we love for some time, ever since she started out singing in a New York City bathhouse back in the 70's. She was also in the original Broadway production of Fiddler on the Roof, and won a special Tony Award in 1974 for "adding luster to the Broadway season".
- A successful recording career and touring act followed, and she broke through in a big way on the big screen with her first lead film role, in The Rose, earning her an Academy Award nomination and two Golden Globes.
- Her next movie, Jinxed, did just that to her in Hollywood, but she had a major comeback in the late 80's with such crowd-pleasers as Down and Out in Beverly Hills, Ruthless People and Beaches (featuring her hit single "Wind Beneath My Wings", one of her four Grammy Award wins), capped off by her second Oscar nomination for her pet project, For the Boys, in 1991 (which earned her another Golden Globe).
- She has won three Emmy Awards for her variety specials and her appearance on the final episode of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson; she was also nominated for her Mama Rose in the TV version of Gypsy (which earned her yet another Golden Globe).
- Recently, she has returned to live performing, headlining The Showgirl Must Go On for the next two years at Caesars Palace in Las Vegas; she will also be seen, in the role of the Countess, in the remake of The Women, due later this year.