Movie Dearest concludes the month long look at our favorite classic character actresses.
Object of our affection: Una O'Connor, actress.
- The prolific character actress of stage and screen found her first success in both with her breakthrough role as a dowdy domestic in Noel Coward's Cavalcade.
- She often played hysterical women, such as in James Whales' The Invisible Man and Bride of Frankenstein; her performances left audiences in hysterics as well.
- Of her many film appearances, many have gone on to become classics, including The Barretts of Wimpole Street, David Copperfield, The Informer, Rose-Marie, The Adventures of Robin Hood, The Sea Hawk, Random Harvest, The Canterville Ghost, Christmas in Connecticut and The Bells of St. Mary's.
- Later in her career, she moved on to the new medium of television, performing in the usual dramatic omnibuses of the day.
- She ended her career as she began, with an unforgettable role on both stage and screen, in Agatha Christie's Witness for the Prosecution.