- Here's the first look at the ladies of 9 to 5 (Stephanie J. Block, Allison Janney and Megan Hilty), along with that sexist, egotistical, lying, hypocritical bigot (Marc Kudisch). The Dolly Parton-penned musical will open on Broadway next spring at the Marquis Theatre.
- Universal is finally moving ahead, albeit slowly, with a movie version of the international stage smash Wicked. Marc Platt, who produced the original stage version as well as the recent action flick Wanted, is also working on a movie remake of Jesus Christ Superstar as well as the expected sequel to Wanted. No word on Wanted: The Musical yet though.
- A workshop production of the play adaptation of Jim Carroll's book The Basketball Diaries is currently underway in Manhattan. You may recall the film version starring Leonardo DiCaprio as Carroll.
- Global Broadway Productions Inc. has launched, with Broadway aimed musical versions of the book series-turned-TV favorite Little House on the Prairie and the Daphne Du Maurier novel-turned-Hitchcock classic Rebecca on their slate, as well as one called Havana, which presumably has nothing to do with the Sydney Pollack/Robert Redford movie of the same name.
- And finally: the Oscar nominated Belgian film Daens will premiere as a stage musical October 4 in Antwerp.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
9 to 5 First Look, Wicked the Movie & More
This and that from From Screen to Stage: