- The X-Files: I Want to Believe: David Duchovny and Gillian Anderson are back as Mulder and Scully in this big screen spook show that not only promises some old school scares (reminiscent of the cult classic TV show), but a little romance between the two as well.
- Brideshead Revisited: Emma Thompson leads a cast of rising talent (Matthew Goode, Ben Whishaw and Hayley Atwell) in this feature adaptation of the Evelyn Waugh literary classic, which was also the basis for a revered television mini-series in 1981. Reportedly, the gay angle hinted at in the novel and mini is amped up this go round.
- American Teen: High school life in the real world (in this case, Warsaw, Indiana) is explored in this fest fave doc.
- Man on Wire: A look back at "the artistic crime of the century", when a death-defying tight rope walker took his act to the Twin Towers circa 1974.
- Boy A: A BAFTA Award winning drama about a juvie trying to reform on the outside.
- Baghead and No Regret: Read Chris Carpenter's reviews right here at Movie Dearest to find out about these two widely different films, opening in limited release this weekend; the first is a horror comedy, the second a gay romance.
- And finally: Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly team up once more as child men (big surprise) forced to grow up when they become Step Brothers.
Thursday, July 24, 2008
The Latest in Theaters: Truth and Deception
This week's new releases include a sci-fi sequel, a classy remake and a pair of critically acclaimed documentaries. Oh yeah, and Will Ferrell too.