Sunday, July 27, 2008

On Location: The Von Trapp Villa

Have you, like me, ever wanted to pay a visit to the land of the edelweiss, where the hills are alive with the sound of music? I have often dreamed of packing up my favorite things and traveling sixteen going on seventeen hours by plane so that I can track down my own lonely goatheard for a little something good. Too bad I'm a little short on the dough (poor me). And though I have confidence that my wish of climbing ev'ry mountain in that far-off land will some day come true, I know I will have to bid "so long, farewell" to it for now.

This dream was reawakened recently with the news that the Villa Trapp, the original Von Trapp family villa near Salzburg, Austria, opened this weekend as a hotel and museum. Despite the fact that the classic movie musical version of the Von Trapp's lives, The Sound of Music, was not actually used for filming (at the time, it was inhabited by a bunch of missionaries), fans should still get a thrill at visiting the actual location where the events of the movie took place, minus a little less musical numbers and the beatific presence of Julie Andrews, of course.

And although Music lovers have been visiting the area for years through scenic tours themed to their favorite movie, not everyone is happy about this endeavor to cash in on history, real and cinematic. Residents of the neighboring village have already expressed their displeasure, and you know the Trapp Family Lodge in Stowe, Vermont (where the famous family settled in after their escape from the Nazis) is likely none too pleased about their new competition.

However, I imagine that both locations will, like the appeal of The Sound of Music, continue to thrive. After all, there is just something about Maria.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I saw the link to this article on IMDB, I got so excited! I'm a huge Sound Of Music fan and if I ever got a chance to visit this surely beautiful hotel and museum, I most definitley will.