Idol worship: Phyllida Lloyd, director.
- This week she makes her feature film debut with Mamma Mia!, the ABBA musical she steered to success in London, New York and worldwide.
- She is primarily known for her theatrical works in her native England, including a stint at the renowned Royal Shakespeare Company; in 2006, the Independent named her among the 100 most influential gay and lesbian people in Britain.
- Her first commercial success was the West End hit Six Degrees of Separation, followed by acclaimed productions of The Threepenny Opera, What the Butler Saw, The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and many others.
- In addition to her theatrical works, she has also directed several operas, including award winning stagings of La Boheme, Medea and the world premiere of The Handmaid's Tale (based on the novel by Margaret Atwood).
- Her only previous film experience was a television version of the opera Gloriana, which won an International Emmy Award.