Object of our affection: Maggie Gyllenhaal, actress.
- She hails from a show biz family: father Stephen Gyllenhaal is a film director, mother Naomi Achs is a producer and screenwriter and her brother Jake ... well, you know about him.
- Her first three films were her dad's Waterland, A Dangerous Woman and Homegrown, followed by Donnie Darko, where she played sister to her real-life brother.
- Critical acclaim (and a Golden Globe nomination) came with her breakout role as a Secretary into bondage. She received another Globe nod for SherryBaby.
- She often gravitates to indie fare, including Cecil B. DeMented, Riding in Cars with Boys, Adaptation, Confessions of a Dangerous Mind, Casa de los Babys and Happy Endings.
- But she isn't averse to studio projects, such as 40 Days and 40 Nights, Mona Lisa Smile, Monster House, World Trade Center, Stranger Than Fiction and a little movie called The Dark Knight, opening next week.