- Babylon A.D.: Vin Diesel stars in this low-rent Children of Men sci-fi thriller that has its own director (Mathieu Kassovitz) calling it "pure violence and stupidity". Michelle Yeoh, Gérard Depardieu and Charlotte Rampling also star.
- Disaster Movie: The only thing funny about this latest crappy spoof from the Meet the Spartans guys is this: our pals at The Gays on Film sit down for a dishy interview with the movie's stars Carmen Electra and Kim Kardashian.
- College: A university-set would-be comedy that sounds as generic as its title and looks as tasteless as its poster.
- Traitor: An international political thriller starring Don Cheadle, Guy Pearce and Jeff Daniels based on a story by ... Steve Martin?
- Ballet Shoes: Emma Watson's first non-Harry Potter movie is actually a 2007 made-for-BBC period film about a trio of orphans whose dreams come true. Aww.
- Sukiyaki Western Django: Quentin Tarantino is a gun-wielding stranger in this hyper-stylized Spaghetti Western parody.
- And finally: one worthwhile alternative to these choices (or if you are experiencing Batman burn out) is the Sing-Along Mamma Mia! These special screenings come complete with onscreen lyrics; you'll have to bring your own silver platform shoes though.
Thursday, August 28, 2008
The Latest in Theaters: Summer's Last Gasp
It's Labor Day weekend, a.k.a. Hollywood's dumping ground, a.k.a. just go see The Dark Knight again. For better or worse, here are this week's new releases: