Idol worship: Sandra Bernhard, actress/comedian/ writer/singer.
- Her early stand-up work culminated in her hit Off-Broadway one-woman show, Without You I'm Nothing, which was also turned into a movie and a double comedy album. She'll return to the material for a 20th anniversary tour kicking off next week in Washington DC.
- She won a National Society of Film Critics Award for her first major film role in The King of Comedy. Other movies include Hudson Hawk, Inside Monkey Zetterland, An Alan Smithee Film: Burn Hollywood Burn, Wrongfully Accused and I Woke Up Early the Day I Died. She also appeared in the documentaries Truth or Dare and Unzipped.
- As Nancy Bartlett on the classic sitcom Roseanne, she was one of the first recurring lesbian characters on network TV. In addition to her many stand up and talk show appearances, she has also appeared on The Larry Sanders Show, Chicago Hope, Ally McBeal, The Sopranos, Will & Grace, Law & Order: Special Victims Unit and Project Runway.
- Other stage shows include I'm Still Here ... Damn It! on Broadway and Everything Bad & Beautiful Off-Broadway; both shows were also recorded and released as albums. In addition to her comedy albums, she has also recorded several music releases, featuring her versions of classic pop, jazz and blues tunes.
- She has also written three books and, in 2002, received the Davidson/Valentini Award (given to an openly GLBT individual who has made a significant difference in promoting equal rights for the GLBT community) at the GLAAD Media Awards.