Object of our affection: Keira Knightley, actress.
- Her first major role was in Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace, but her big breakthrough came with the crowd pleaser, Bend It Like Beckham.
- More smaller films followed (including playing Lara in a TV remake of Doctor Zhivago), but she really became a star when she took on the part of swashbuckling siren Elizabeth Swann in Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl. She returned for the two sequels, Dead Man's Chest and At World's End.
- Next, she was part of the large ensemble of Love Actually, played an ass-kicking Guinevere in King Arthur and Laurence Harvey's bounty hunter daughter in Domino.
- She received her first Academy Award and Golden Globe nominations as Elizabeth Bennet in the 2005 adaptation of Jane Austen's Pride & Prejudice. Another Globe nod came with last year's Atonement.
- As the title character in this week's The Duchess, she could get more award recognition, as could her turn in an upcoming version as King Lear, wherein she'll play Cordelia. She is also rumored for the part of Eliza Dolittle in the upcoming remake of My Fair Lady.