Monday, November 17, 2008

Way to Go, Wanda!

Wanda Sykes, sassy comedian and star of movies (Evan Almighty) and TV (The New Adventures of Old Christine), publicly came out as a lesbian during Saturday's National Day of Protest. She also revealed she wed her partner before the passing of the hateful Proposition 8.

Here is an excerpt from her powerful speech in Las Vegas: "I don’t really talk about my sexual orientation, I felt like I was living my life, I wasn’t in the closet, but I was just living my life. Everybody who knows me personally, they know I’m gay. And that’s the way people should be able to live our lives, really. We shouldn’t have to be standing out here demanding something we automatically should have as citizens of this country. They pissed off the wrong group of people. They have galvanized a community. We are so together now and we all want the same thing and we shouldn’t have to settle for less. Instead of having gay marriage in California, no, we’re gonna have gay marriage across the country."

You go girl.

2 comments:

virtualredhead said...

I just pray that Sykes won't participate in terrifying glitter sieges on evangelical churches like this one in Michigan.

The horror, the horror!

Kirby Holt said...

Oh my. I had heard about that incident (which doesn't seem at all helpful to our cause and sounds suspicously like it was all faked), but not about the glitter!

- kch