- Doubt: John Patrick Shanley directs the screen adaptation of his Tony Award-winning drama with a dream cast, including Meryl Streep, Philip Seymour Hoffman and Amy Adams.
- Che: OK, see if you can keep this straight: Steven Soderbergh's four-hour biopic of the iconic Ernesto "Che" Guevara (played by Benicio del Toro) is being released in NY and LA in the original, full-length version. It will then be split in two and re-released on January 9 as two separate movies, Part One: The Argentine and Part Two: Guerrilla.
- The Day the Earth Stood Still: Keanu Reeves is Klaatu in this unnecessary and unwanted remake of the Robert Wise sci-fi classic.
- The Reader: The Great Kate Winslet stars in this post-World War II courtroom drama from The Hours director Stephen Daldry.
- Adam Resurrected: In another WWII era film, Jeff Goldblum turns in a career-best performance as a Holocaust survivor.
- Gran Torino: Clint Eastwood (who also directed, produced and wrote the theme song) is a grumpy old man in this racially tinged drama.
- Wendy and Lucy: Michelle Williams is Wendy and Lucy is her beloved pet in this different kind of "dog movie".
- Nothing Like the Holidays: The unlikely married couple of John Leguizamo and Debra Messing pay a Christmas visit to his sprawling family in this comedy/drama. Not to be confused with Four Christmases ... or This Christmas ... or ...
- What Doesn't Kill You: Ethan Hawke and Mark Ruffalo are two friends scraping out a living on the mean streets of Boston.
- $9.99: This Annie Award nominated stop-motion animated film from Australia is about a group of Sydney apartment complex neighbors looking for meaning in their lives.
Thursday, December 11, 2008
The Latest in Theaters: Klaatu, Che and Sister Aloysius
If you thought last week was a slow one, well, the studios sure are making up for it this week: