Sunday, February 8, 2009

Awards Watch: BAFTA Winners 2008

Slumdog Millionaire continues its sweep through the pre-Oscar awards, nabbing seven trophies from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts today, including Best Picture and Best Director for Danny Boyle.

Kate Winslet (The Reader) beat herself (Revolutionary Road) for Best Actress, while Mickey Rourke (The Wrestler), Heath Ledger (The Dark Knight) and Penélope Cruz (Vicky Cristina Barcelona) picked up the other acting prizes. (Ironically, the top five awards mirror the current front-runners in the MD Oscar Polls).

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button came in second over-all with three BAFTAs. Other winners include The Duchess, Hunger, In Bruges, I've Loved You So Long, Man on Wire and WALL-E.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Slumdog millionaires has not made it here yet so Im looking forward to seeing it. I hear it got very mixed
review in India which struck me as interesting.
I have a soft spot for Brad Pitt
so I was glad he was nominated for a Oscar even if I dont think he should win.
In my opinion the most overlooked actors for a Academy award are Johnny Depp and Leonardo DiCapprio .