Monday, July 16, 2007

The Origin of Movie Dearest

When I first started thinking about creating this blog, I knew that I had to have a great title. After all, all great movies have great titles, right? In other words, I didn't want to be the Ballistic: Ecks vs. Sever of the internet.

I knew that it would be better to have a title that was catchy, short and no-nonsense, two to three words tops (although in my research I did find that the best blog title EVER was more then that).

I also wanted the title to reflect the three main elements of the site: movies, both classic and current; gay and gay-friendly themes; and a slightly irreverent tone. I also liked the idea of tying it into a particular movie.

So what one movie encapsulates these themes (rather brilliantly, I might add)? One that is classic yet current, queer yet a little queer (the other definition).

Well, you know the answer of course: the camp-tastic Mommie Dearest, a mainstream, modern movie (1980 isn't that long ago, is it?) about one of the classic era's biggest stars (Joan Crawford, as if you need me to tell you that) that bombed on its initial release yet was embraced by gay audiences, turning it into the cult classic that it is today.

With a slight tweak to the title and some Photoshop work on the original iconic poster art, and viola! A star is born.

Links via LittleBlogToo.blogspot.com, Imdb.com and IMPAwards.com.

No comments: