Movie Dearest continues the month long countdown to the Oscars with two of our weekly signature features -- Cinematic Crush and Women We Love -- spotlighting our favorites of this year's acting nominees:
Object of our affection: Laura Linney, actress.
- We've loved her from the moment she stepped off the bus in San Francisco as Mary Ann Singleton in the classic mini-series version of Armistead Maupin's Tales of the City; she returned for the two sequels, but we are still waiting for Babycakes.
- Soon, she seemed to be in everything, from Congo to Absolute Power to Primal Fear to The Truman Show.
- She hit the big time with her Oscar nominated role in You Can Count on Me; a supporting nod for Kinsey followed, and she was a surprise nominee this year for her performance in The Savages.
- For her stage work, she received Tony Award nominations for The Crucible and Sight Unseen; for television, she has won two Emmy Awards, for Frasier and the TV Movie Wild Iris.
- Other notable films include The House of Mirth, The Laramie Project, Mystic River, Love Actually, The Squid and the Whale, The Exorcism of Emily Rose, Breach and The Nanny Diaries.
- Upcoming roles include First Lady Abigail Adams in the TV mini-series John Adams and the Marquise de Merteuil in the Broadway revival of Les Liaisons Dangereuses.