Today, Movie Dearest begins a month long look at the hottest "Retro TV Hunks", the actors who brought prime beefcake to primetime during the 70's and 80's.
Crush object: Tom Selleck, actor.
- He is best known for his Emmy Award and Golden Globe winning role as Thomas Magnum, Hawaii's finest (in every sense of the word) private eye in the long-running TV series Magnum, P.I., which also won him five People's Choice Awards.
- In his film debut, he played a character known only as "Stud" in the camp classic Myra Breckinridge.
- He was almost Indiana Jones in the Raiders of the Lost Ark; subsequent big screen attempts to capitalize on his action hero persona from television fizzled though: High Road to China, Lassiter, Runaway ...
- Movie success came when he turned to comedy with Three Men and a Baby and In & Out, where his gay journalist had a memorable lip lock with Kevin Kline's closeted school teacher.
- A well-received recurring role on Friends led to the short-lived comedy series The Closer; he most recently joined the cast of Las Vegas and continues to find acclaim in a string of western TV movies and the Jesse Stone mystery series.