The MTV presentation of the Broadway musical Legally Blonde was nominated for two Daytime Emmy nominations today, including Outstanding Special Class Special. Isn't that special?
In more From Screen to Stage news of the day:
- Speaking of Legally Blonde, Kate Rockwell, an alumni of Grease: You're the One That I Want, will join the cast as a sorority sister next month.
- Raúl Esparza will star in the Steve Martin role in an upcoming workshop of the Broadway bound stage musical version of Leap of Faith. Film director Taylor Hackford is at the helm of the new tuner, which features songs by Alan Menken and Glenn Slater, currently represented on the Great White Way with Disney's The Little Mermaid.
- Speaking of Disney, the French production of The Lion King (known as Le Roi Lion) was named Best Musical at the recent Moliere Awards, the French version of the Tonys.
- Good news for "fanadus": original Xanadu cast members Kerry Butler, Cheyenne Jackson, Tony Roberts, Jackie Hoffman and Mary Testa have all renewed their contracts with the show through next January.
- And this last show has nothing to do with movies -- unless you count The Last King of Scotland -- but it does have the best title ever.
UPDATE: Cheyenne Jackson will be leaving Xanadu ... but just for the month of July so he can play "Shoeless Joe from Hannibal Mo" in the Encores! Summer Stars production of Damn Yankeess. Jane Krakowski (as Lola) and Sean Hayes (as the devilish Mr. Applegate) also star.