- The Mummy: Tomb of the Dragon Emperor: Brendan Fraser is back for a third round of Indiana Jones-ish escapades. This time, he has a new wife (Maria Bello, replacing Rachel Weisz), an older son (Luke Ford) and some fresh villains (Jet Li and Michelle Yeoh).
- Swing Vote: Kevin Costner stars as the one guy whose vote will decide the US Presidential Election in this well-timed comedy. The all-star cast includes Nathan Lane (who just played a president on Broadway in November), Stanley Tucci, Kelsey Grammer and Dennis Hopper. The latter two play the film's fictitious contenders, who even have their own campaign ads (including this spoofy pro-gay marriage spot) ... and YouTube channels.
- The Midnight Meat Train: Hellraiser creator Clive Barker brings more of his dark nightmares to the silver screen in this grisly gorefest (in limited release), which stars Bradley Cooper, Brooke Shields and Roger Bart. We'll have more on Barker in tomorrow's Out in Film profile.
- Frozen River: Melissa Leo is generating some early Oscar buzz as a desperate mother caught up in an illegal immigration drama; Michael O'Keefe, last seen as Scotty's dad on Brothers and Sisters, co-stars.
- And finally: Frameline Fest award winner XXY, a drama about an intersex teen faced with making a life changing decision, returns to the Bay Area.
Thursday, July 31, 2008
The Latest in Theaters: Tomb Raiders
New this week in theaters: mummies, meat trains and the first Best Actress contender of the year --