This is the fourth in a four-part salute to the Designing Women We Love, the first season of which finally makes its DVD debutMay 26:
Object of our affection: Delta Burke, actress.
- The former beauty queen-turned-actress landed the perfect role when she was cast as former beauty queen-turned-Designing Woman Suzanne Sugarbaker. Her performance of the outspoken, eccentric Southern diva earned her two Emmy Award nominations, the only leading actress from the show to be so honored. She also met her future husband, Gerald McRaney, while on the series; he played one of Suzanne's many ex-husbands.
- In a much-publicized falling out with the makers of Designing Women, she left the show after its fifth season and went on to star in the short-lived sitcoms Delta, DAG and Women of the House. In the latter, she reprised her role as Suzanne after reconciling with Women creator Linda Bloodworth-Thomason.
- Prior to her time at Sugarbakers, she was also a regular on Filthy Rich and 1st & Ten. Her many television guest spots include appearances on Simon & Simon (opposite her husband McRaney), Popular, Boston Legal, Any Day Now and Family Law (the latter two with her Designing co-stars Annie Potts and Dixie Carter, respectively).
- Her stage performances have included Mrs. Meers in Thoroughly Modern Millie (a role also played by her Designing sister Carter) and Truvy in Steel Magnolias, both on Broadway.
- On the big screen, she has co-starred in such movies as What Women Want and Del Shores' Sordid Lives. Her next film will also be with Shores: an adaptation of his play Southern Baptist Sissies.