Here's a video round up of the best of Broadway, as seen on the Tony Awards this past Sunday night:
- Another openin', another show ... and what an opening number, a show tune smorgasbord complete with a viral video moment courtesy of Bret Michaels (surely not the first time that the word "viral" has been associated with Mr. Michaels). The Poison frontman suffered a broken a nose, while the unfortunate set piece he smacked into has since tested positive for gonorrhea ...
- Best Musical Billy Elliot rocks its number, while its young stars David Alvarez, Kiril Kulish and Trent Kowalik charm in their joint acceptance speech for Best Actor.
- Christopher Sieber steals the show with his campy Lord Farquaad song from Shrek The Musical, while his fairy tale co-stars strut their stuff in some never-before-seen audition footage.
- Here's the numbers from the other two Best Musical nominees, Next to Normal (introduced by Carrie Fisher and her pantsuit) and Rock of Ages (complete with Liza cameo).
- Best Musical Revival winner Hair brought the house down, led by its two hunky stars Gavin Creel and Will Swenson.
- Also in the Musical Revival category, the cast of West Side Story (including the dreamy Matt Cavenaugh as Tony) go for a "Dance at the Gym", while those Guys and Dolls (which, as I predicted, closes this Sunday) suffer through sound snafus and bad staging in "Sit Down, You're Rocking the Boat".
- Touring shows were also on hand, represented by the "Dancing Queens" of Mamma Mia!, the sorority gals of Legally Blonde and no less than five Frankie Vallis from Jersey Boys.
- And last, but certainly not least: dapper Tony host Neil Patrick Harris and his already legendary "11 O'clock Number".