In a press conference this morning, Oscar producer Gil Cates and Academy president Sid Ganis announced details for the upcoming 80th Annual Academy Awards telecast, including a host of presenters and the performers for all five of the nominated songs:
- Presenters will include all four of last year's acting winners returning for their final duties as reigning Best Actor (Forest Whitaker), Best Actress (Helen Mirren), Best Supporting Actor (Alan Arkin) and Best Supporting Actress (Jennifer Hudson). And it looks like Martin Scorsese will be there to bestow the next Best Director.
- Others on hand to hand out the gold will be a few of our favorites, such as Amy Adams, Cate Blanchett, Josh Brolin, Steve Carell, George Clooney, Penelope Cruz, Miley "Hannah Montana" Cyrus, Patrick Dempsey, Cameron Diaz, Colin Farrell, Harrison Ford, Jennifer Garner, Tom Hanks, Anne Hathaway, Katherine Heigl, Jonah Hill, Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson, Nicole Kidman, James McAvoy, Queen Latifah, Seth Rogen, Hilary Swank, John Travolta, Denzel Washington and Renée Zellweger.
- As for the Enchanted musical numbers, Adams will perform "Happy Working Song", but will let Broadway cutie Kristin Chenoweth take on "That's How You Know" with Marlon Saunders; "So Close" will be crooned by Jon McLaughlin.
- Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova will sing their own composition, Once's "Falling Slowly", while Jamia Simone Nash will perform “Raise It Up,” from August Rush with the IMPACT Repertory Theatre of Harlem. For the record (get it?) that means all but Chenoweth are the original singers.
- And keeping in the tradition of casting a nubile hottie to host the Scientific and Technical Awards the night before, Jessica Alba has the honors this year.
UPDATE: Jack is back: Jack Nicholson has joined the list of presenters.
UPDATE 2: More last minute changes: Queen Latifah is out, Keri Russell and Owen Wilson are in, as is Nicole Kidman, who will present "a very special award" ... hmmm, interesting.