- Outstanding US Dramatic Feature: Hamlet 2 (directed and co-written by Andrew Fleming)
- Outstanding Documentary Feature: A Place to Live (directed by Carolyn Coal)
- Outstanding First US Dramatic Feature: Watercolors (directed and written by David Oliveras)
- Outstanding Soundtrack: Hamlet 2 (Rock Me, Sexy Jesus!)
- Outstanding Narrative Short: I'm Jin-Young (directed by Lee Sung Eun)
- Outstanding Documentary Short: La Corona (directed by Amanda Micheli and Isabel Vega)
Grand Jury Awards:
- "Heineken Red Star" Award: Were the World Mine (directed by Thomas Gustafson) -- See review below.
- Outstanding International Documentary Feature: Sex Positive (directed by Daryl Wein)
- Outstanding International Dramatic Feature: XXY (directed and written by Lucia Puenzo)
- Outstanding Narrative Short Film: Countertransference (directed by Madeleine Olnek)
- Outstanding Documentary Short Film: La Corona
- Outstanding Actor in a Feature Film: Tye Olson in Watercolors
- Outstanding Actress in a Feature Film: Nicole Bilderback in The New Twenty
- Outstanding Screenwriting: James Bolton for Dream Boy
Special Programming Awards:
- For Freedom: Football Under Cover (directed by Ayat Najafi and David Assmann)
- For Artistic Achievement: Wild Combination: A Portrait of Arthur Russell (directed by Matt Wolf)
- For Emerging Talent: Dave O'Brien, director of Equality U
Outfest will conclude tonight with the Los Angeles premiere of Tru Loved, a new film by Stewart Wade (Coffee Date). It's a hot ticket and ... I couldn't get one, so this concludes my day-by-day coverage of Outfest 2008. However, many more movies and filmmakers made an impression during the fest than one can adequately survey in a mere week and a half. I'll continue to post reviews and interviews in the weeks and months to come.
Review by Rev. Chris Carpenter, resident film critic of Movie Dearest and the Orange County and Long Beach Blade.